mobile version

Are you having tech problems of some sort with the boards and you need a place to report them?
Here you go.
theo
NPC
Player name: Chris B
Character Name: theo
City Positions: smartmouth

mobile version

Post by theo »

is great, but i cannot find a way to switch back to the full version

malcolm
The Gangrel
Player name: Brian
Character Name: Malcolm

Re: mobile version

Post by malcolm »

There isn't one currently. I'm looking into code options.

Hamish MacNeil
Player
Player name: Michael Beyer
Character Name: Hamish MacNeil
City Positions: Purveyor of Violence

Post by Hamish MacNeil »

Generally I detest "mobile" versions of sites, and I'm afraid this one hits all of my pet peeves regarding such sites. I sincerely hope that a return to normal site function can be added.

malcolm
The Gangrel

Post by malcolm »

Alright - back to the forums that don't allow you to type a longish message into a box without glitching and not displaying any content after the first page or show you information in a format large enough to be readable without scrolling side to side it is. ;P

More negative than positive feedback. If it's any indication, I'll likely stop working on any small format integration for the site. Not worth the energy.

msweet
Accomplice
Player name: Ari
Character Name: Maud Sweet

Post by msweet »

When did we get a mobile site?

I tend not to check the forums from my phone because I found it a hassle--I wasn't aware that this feature had been added.

I'd be interested in trying it, but I admit that the inability to switch back if I dislike the format sounds off-putting--not too off-putting, though, since I'd just default to not using the forums via my phone once again.
The past is never dead. It's not even past.
Faulkner

Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Being a person with a not-so-smart phone I actually appreciate mobile versions that don't consume all my phones resources.
This seems to have come and gone while I was at work. I would have loved to be able to give it a try.

Hamish MacNeil
Player
Player name: Michael Beyer
Character Name: Hamish MacNeil
City Positions: Purveyor of Violence

Post by Hamish MacNeil »

As one who uses an iPod touch to access the site on a pretty regular basis, I am used to being able to stretch out the page and get it to the size I like and working with it from there. It just feels more comfortable for me to do so. I don't have this option with a mobile site.

I can see the use of a mobile format for some devices, but it really doesn't suit me. If an option was available to use the normal site from the mobile, that would be my preference.

Sorry I didn't put this in to my previous reply, but amusingly enough, I was on my iPod at the time and I have kinda meaty thumbs, so I don't like posting any more than necessary from it.
That which does not kill you... Has made a serious tactical error.

MrMacabee
NPC
Player name: Ted
Character Name: Curt Macabee

Post by MrMacabee »

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to choose which version to use on a mobile device.

But, folks? Brian is volunteering his hardware, his hard work, and his mad l33t skillz here. Can we all try to be more appreciative of his time and effort? Please?

I don't want to point fingers or be nasty to people, and I know it can take some effort to restrain that bit of anger when something changes on a site we all care so much about. But please remember: this is unpaid skilled labor on the part of those running things here. And a lot of unpaid labor, too. Gratitude and courtesy goes a long way.

Sorry to fuss, and apologies if I'm speaking out of place on this. Thanks.
If you believe it, they believe it. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #267
Curt Macabee
Childe of Jefferson Cantor, Harpy of Washington, D.C.

TeganAdams

Post by TeganAdams »

Major props to Brian for doing all this for us! I've seen a lot of the features he has worked on, and I've been very impressed so far! When I find my iPod Touch somewhere in the wilds of our bedroom, I plan on using it more often. :) From there, I do plan on providing as much constructive, actionable feedback as possible to make the mobile site just as awesome as the full version.

Having the ability to switch between the mobile and full versions of the site is definitely handy. Then again, I don't know what the mobile site doesn't offer that the full site DOES offer, having not been able to poke around it.

The key to providing good feedback is not blanket disapproval, but finding functionality that does not appear to work as intended, or is perhaps counterintuitive, and asking questions like "Is this how X feature was intended to work?" I don't know much about the coding, but I've gotten really good at QA in the past couple years. I, for one, want to help.

Zaage
Gamer
Player name: Katie
Character Name: Zaage
City Positions: Scourge

Post by Zaage »

I think the mobile site is spiffy. If I had a device that could make use of it, I'd be all over it. Great job, Brian.
Scourge of Monterey
Hopeful in the Eyes of the Camarilla

Zaage | Anobel | Isobel
"He must walk warily and fearlessly, and while he should never brawl
if he can avoid it, he must be ready to hit hard if the need arises. Let
him remember, by the way, that the unforgivable crime is soft hitting.
Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly." —Theodore Roosevelt

malcolm
The Gangrel

Post by malcolm »

There was a problem replying to PMs and whatnot on the mobile forums... I resolved that but it removed the character switcher from the posting pages on the mobile forums. Sorry folks, has to be that way for now... I'll still try and fix it.