Fanime?

Forum rules
Posts made here are viewable by the general public, no account or login required.
COP-Tim
Player
Player name: Scotty
Character Name: Tim?
City Positions: Somewhere safe

Fanime?

Post by COP-Tim »

Hi everyone!

I was just contacted by one of the Division Heads for the San Jose Anime Convention (Fanime).

Friday night is the night of Fanime's Swap Meet that usually ends around 1:00am. Fanime is offering the use of the Exhibition Hall after the Swap Meet to us. The conditions are they need an approximate headcount and anyone who participates must have a valid Fanime badge.

Reactions? Responses? I made no commitment (not my place to do so) but did say I would get the word out and get responses from everyone.

EDIT: Fanime is the last weekend of May.

Zaage
Gamer
Player name: Katie
Character Name: Zaage
City Positions: Scourge

Re: Fanime?

Post by Zaage »

...wait, use it for what?
Scourge of Monterey
Hopeful in the Eyes of the Camarilla

Zaage | Anobel | Isobel
"He must walk warily and fearlessly, and while he should never brawl
if he can avoid it, he must be ready to hit hard if the need arises. Let
him remember, by the way, that the unforgivable crime is soft hitting.
Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly." —Theodore Roosevelt

COP-Tim
Player
Player name: Scotty
Character Name: Tim?
City Positions: Somewhere safe

Post by COP-Tim »

They will leave it up to us...a friend of mine who shadowed a while back is Staff for Fanime and heard a few of us from Game also go to Fanime. They are not going to use the space after the Swap Meet and offered it to us for PR (or something like that).

If I sound vague...it is because I do not know much myself. The Division Head is talking to my friend who is relaying the information to me.
Just because we looked a different direction when we were born does not mean what we saw is any less true.

"Ladies and Gents; take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

MrMacabee
NPC
Player name: Ted
Character Name: Curt Macabee

Post by MrMacabee »

I'm going to be in Madison, Winsconsin, for a feminist science-fiction convention that Friday, myself.

But it would be funny to phone into game for a little while from there.
If you believe it, they believe it. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #267
Curt Macabee
Childe of Jefferson Cantor, Harpy of Washington, D.C.

TeganAdams

Post by TeganAdams »

I'll be herding hapless Troubleshooters at BayCon.

Hail Friend Computer!

Hamish MacNeil
Player
Player name: Michael Beyer
Character Name: Hamish MacNeil
City Positions: Purveyor of Violence

Post by Hamish MacNeil »

I'll be running the gaming department for BayCon, and thus, not likely to be able to be at Fanime.
That which does not kill you... Has made a serious tactical error.

Ralph
Storyteller
Player name: Ralph
Character Name: Trouble
City Positions: Head Storyteller

Post by Ralph »

Flare at Baycon, myself.
-Ralph
--------
Let me tell you a story....

Isabella
O.S.G.
Player name: Adana
Character Name: Isabella Giovanni
City Positions: Super Villain

Post by Isabella »

I'll be at fanime but i don't know if i'll want to go to game or not or game at fanime or not. It's one of those sorts of things where I usually do it as a whim.
You made Teddy very angry...

"Death is my business and business is good" ~ From Grave Robber At Large by Creature Feature.

Verdi
Accomplice
Player name: Emi
Character Name: Verdi Raphaela

Post by Verdi »

Would we need a friday or saturday badge?

hmm, it might be interesting to have an event there, but it would be 1am, and I think a lot of people might be tuckered out for RP at that point. I know by midnight i'm usually dragging my feet.

Unless we were doing some awesome IC event I think i'd probably pass just because of how late it is.
All Dressed Up, And Nowhere To Go.

Cynthia L.

Post by Cynthia L. »

I will be going to fanime. And will probably have a pass, but i don't know what I'll do for game...

MaxisG

Post by MaxisG »

I will be attending Fanime, and I still curse those who decide to hold BayCon and KhublaCon on the same weekend. As for gaming, I would see (given the time) that it would be unlikely to be used for this as I doubt most will want to shift the normal 8-12 gaming time to like 1-5 am if thats what I'm hearing.

Another question is whether there will be game that week as it seems by the response to this, there will be a lot people going to Fanime and BayCon (do we have any KhublaCon'ers here?) so I'm not sure how many people will be at game.

Cynthia L.

Post by Cynthia L. »

MaxisG wrote: and I still curse those who decide to hold BayCon and KhublaCon on the same weekend.
From what I've heard, fanime was originally a part of BayCon... And that it branched off due to what ever reason they had.

MaxisG

Post by MaxisG »

Cynthia: Still annoying as...well..I like sci-fi, gaming, and anime! I want it all, but they have them all on the same weekend. Doh.

Hamish MacNeil
Player

Post by Hamish MacNeil »

Fanime did in fact branch off of BayCon, and before it moved on to BayCon's weekend, about 90% of Fanime's staff also worked BayCon.

Unfortunately, due to a bit of a pissing match between certain persons within the two organizations, Fanime moved to BayCon's weekend, and in the process lost the vast majority of their experienced staff.

As one who used to work both conventions, I could go in to more detail on things, but I don't really think that anybody here would want to read it.

Lindsay
Lit Moderator
Character Name: Lit Moderator

Post by Lindsay »

Yes - there will be game that week.
I know that we will be a smaller game - but I always hold game on con weeks if for no other reason than so that those of us who DON'T do cons - still have something to do!

:P
All hail the glory of the Lit Dignitas!

Calixte Peregrine
Accomplice
Character Name: Calixte Peregrine

Post by Calixte Peregrine »

MaxisG wrote:I will be attending Fanime, and I still curse those who decide to hold BayCon and KhublaCon on the same weekend. As for gaming, I would see (given the time) that it would be unlikely to be used for this as I doubt most will want to shift the normal 8-12 gaming time to like 1-5 am if thats what I'm hearing.

Another question is whether there will be game that week as it seems by the response to this, there will be a lot people going to Fanime and BayCon (do we have any KhublaCon'ers here?) so I'm not sure how many people will be at game.
To be fair, Fanime is the con that decided to do the same weekend as Khubla and BayCon. I don't know how long Khubla has been running, but BayCon has been around for almost 30 years and has been on that weekend since 1985.
"Être fort pour être utile" —Georges Hébert
“Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.”
—Brian Wilson

Calixte Peregrine
Accomplice

Hamish MacNeil wrote:Fanime did in fact branch off of BayCon, and before it moved on to BayCon's weekend, about 90% of Fanime's staff also worked BayCon.

Unfortunately, due to a bit of a pissing match between certain persons within the two organizations, Fanime moved to BayCon's weekend, and in the process lost the vast majority of their experienced staff.

As one who used to work both conventions, I could go in to more detail on things, but I don't really think that anybody here would want to read it.
Famine started as a very little con at college, I believe, with a lot of its staff also being BayCon staff, but it didn't split off from the BayCon anime room or anything.
—Brian Wilson

Hamish MacNeil
Player

Post by Hamish MacNeil »

Calixte Peregrine wrote:
Hamish MacNeil wrote:Fanime did in fact branch off of BayCon, and before it moved on to BayCon's weekend, about 90% of Fanime's staff also worked BayCon.

Famine started as a very little con at college, I believe, with a lot of its staff also being BayCon staff, but it didn't split off from the BayCon anime room or anything.
You're right... it was a different anime con that branched off of BayCon, it wasn't Fanime.

Isabella
O.S.G.
Player name: Adana
Character Name: Isabella Giovanni
City Positions: Super Villain

Post by Isabella »

regardless of it's origins I will be at Fanime as will Tom. If we decide we need gameage we will drive to Mountainview. But we haven't decided yet.
You made Teddy very angry...

"Death is my business and business is good" ~ From Grave Robber At Large by Creature Feature.

ClawOfBastet
Neophyte
Player name: Ryshili
Character Name: Angelus
City Positions: Wallflower

Post by ClawOfBastet »

Just gonna say I'm going. And I'm cosplaying. :3

Calixte Peregrine
Accomplice

Hamish MacNeil wrote:
Calixte Peregrine wrote:

You're right... it was a different anime con that branched off of BayCon, it wasn't Fanime.
Not to hijack the thread (much)... was that anime america?
—Brian Wilson

MaxisG

Post by MaxisG »

Thank you guys for the history guys. As for game, I'm gonna have to figure things out a bit. I will probably end up at game.

FawnBusko
Gamer
Player name: Gesine
Character Name: Fawn Busko
City Positions: Smith of House Varr

Post by FawnBusko »

If I read this right, the invite is past 1am... that'll be too late for me to remain coherent and drivable. :)
~ Fawn H. Busko;
Childe of Elijah Patterson
Grandchilde of Constance LaMonte, Harpy of Baltimore
Journeyman of Hephaestus