Halloween Game Event

Forum rules
Posts made here are viewable by the general public, no account or login required.
Isabella
O.S.G.
Player name: Adana
Character Name: Isabella Giovanni
City Positions: Super Villain

Halloween Game Event

Post by Isabella »

Hey Guys,

Your friendly neighborhood Giovanni player here letting you know about the event I've been planning for Hallween this year. This year I'm doing something a little different from my usual bake a bunch of food for you and hang out kind of deal. This year I'm doing a Dante's Inferno themed game similar to the Greek Gods event Monte threw. I wanted to give you a heads up in advance out of character so you can figure out who you want to play for it as well as plan costuming and stuff.

Now I need a little input from you regarding casting. I can do it one of two ways. Either I can cast by player, where I pick a character you as a player would enjoy or do well as. Which means that ICly the casting was a bit more random.

Or... you let me know who you're planing on playing and Issy casts them as a character. Which may or may not be awkward.

Or... I do a combo of both depending on who wants what. Any of these work for me.

Please PM me and let me know your preference or post it here. If there's a specific character from the story you're interested in let me know. I can't garentee you it but I can see if I can make it work. And if you're interested in helping me also let me know that via PM.

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to it.

<3 Adana
You made Teddy very angry...

"Death is my business and business is good" ~ From Grave Robber At Large by Creature Feature.

Isabella
O.S.G.

Re: Halloween Game Event

Post by Isabella »

For those who aren't familiar with it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante%27s_Inferno

I will post the list of characters soon.

"Death is my business and business is good" ~ From Grave Robber At Large by Creature Feature.

Isabella
O.S.G.

Dante's Inferno List of Roles

Post by Isabella »

Here is a list of the characters from Dante's Inferno that I will be using to cast people as for the event. I chose characters who had interesting stories and tie ins with other characters so that interactions would be encouraged and fun.I don't expect to cast every single role here but I wanted a variety to choose from. If there is a character from the book that you don't see here but are interested in please contact me and I will see if I can come up with a way to include it. Also if there is a particular character that strikes your fancy please send your request for that character to me and I will take it under advisement when I do the casting.

Dante

Virgil

Lion

Lonza

She-wolf

Charon

Penthesilea

Electra

Camilla

Lucretia

Minos

Homer

Julius Caesar

Semiramis

Dido

Cleopatra

Helen of Troy

Achilles

Paris

Tristan

Francesca da Rimini

Cerberus

Ciacco

Pluto/Plutus

Phleguys

Filippo Argenti

Fallen Angels

Allecto

Megaera

Tisiphone

Medusa

Angel

Farinata degli Uberti

Cavalcante de' Cavalcanti

Epicurus

Emperor Fredrick II

Minotaur

Alexander the Great

Dionysisus I of Syracuse

Guy de Montfort

Obizzo d'Este

Chiron

Pholos

Nessus

Harpies

Pietro della Vigne

Capaneus

Brunetto Latini

Castello di Rossa Gianfigliazzi

Giovanni di Buiamonte

Geryon

Jason

Thais

Pope Nicholas III

Amphiaraus

Tiresias

Manto

The Malebranche (Devils)

Malacoda (Malebranche Leader)

Ulysses

Diomedes

Guido da Montefeltro

Muhammad

Bertran de Born

Sinon

Myrrha

Nimrod

Tityos

Typhon{/url}

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antaeus]Antaeus

Mordred

Count Ugolino

Fra Alberigo

Satan

Brutus

Cassius

Judas Iscariot

Isabella
O.S.G.

OOC How the Game Works

Post by Isabella »

Okay so here's a brief bit on how the party game will work.

1: You will be given a character out of Dante's Inferno.

2: You will play that character as your PC/NPC would play them.

3: Each character will have a variety of things:
- A starting circle (where you begin the game at)
- Coins from the circles of hell (to start with you get some from your starting circle) to be traded for different things.
- A starting item that is representative of your character.
- A list of goals that you are trying to accomplish as that character. ( some are to gain items, some are to hinder the goals of others, some are to help others, etc.)
-A restriction (something you can't do, a specific rule about your ability, some other weird restrictive thing.)
- An ability. (Basically a rule bender or something that allows you to accomplish something for yourself or others. It will be very self explanatory.)

4: The goal of the game is to accomplish as many of your characters goals as possible. Some goals can be accomplished multiple times. I will give people goal tokens of some kind to keep track of this. Or find some other way to keep track of it.

THE ALL IMPORTANT FOOD AND DRINK SECTION
I will be providing food and drink. Some of my usual Halloween goodies (if you are a new player you have no idea what I'm talking about but you will soon learn... oh yes... you will) and some new things. As well as just store bought stuff. If people want to do a pot luck kind of thing that would be awesome. If not I can more than cover it. But I love the idea of doing it sort of communally to ensure variety. Let me know if you want to contribute so I can give you credit where credit is due.

Isabella
O.S.G.

Post by Isabella »

Everyone should have received their roles. If I missed you please PM me and I will give one to you.

Isabella
O.S.G.

Q&A

Post by Isabella »

Q: Do I have to go all out on my costume?
A: No. Do whatever you feel comfortable with or have the ability to do. While we will love lots of costuming it's fine if you just want to wear what you usually wear or print out a picture of what your character is wearing and pin it to your chest. If you need help with ideas give me a ping. I'll be glad to help.

Q: I hate what you cast me as, can I switch?
A: Sure. If you and someone else want to switch just let me know. If you can't find someone who wants to switch let me know. I have a ton of uncast characters who we can pick from and find something you will enjoy.

Q: Can I come and not participate in the party game?
A: Sure. Think about it this way. We've all gone to parties where there are games being played and not everyone participates at the same level or at all. So if you or your character don't want to frolic through hell with everyone else you can always just not play the party game and socialize with others. I won't be insulted. I'd rather people come and have fun.

Q: Why Dante's Inferno anyways?
A: It's one of my favorite books. And it's something I incorporated into Issy in weird ways. Not to mention it's a heavily political story with lots of characters that can easily be translated into this type of party game. Also, there are a wide variety of characters ranging from ones that would require lots of costuming and others who can wear pretty much whatever.

Q: Can I bring a physrep of my starting item?
A: If you've got them I'd be happy to see them. Just keep in mind game rules regarding weapons and such. I will provide item cards for people too.

Q: What happens if someone who is cast as a character that I need for completing a goal isn't there that night?
A: That's a good question. There are two ways you can deal with this. Either I can re-write your goal to something you can accomplish or you can be creative and find a way to get around that person's absence. Bottom line, I'll figure something out for you.

I think that covers most things. PM me if you have other questions.
Last edited by Isabella on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isabella
O.S.G.

Hell

Post by Isabella »

Here is a decent and easy to read map of Hell in Dante's Inferno. There are others out there but most are super complicated looking.

The 9 Circles
The Dark Wood: Not a circle actually. It's sort of like the foyer of Hell. If Hell had a foyer and it was a dark spooky forest filled with scary beasts that try to hunt down wayward dead poets and keep them from finding their way.

1st Circle: Also known as Limbo. This is where the unbaptized and virtuous pagans go when they die. Essentially, they weren't evil but they can't go to heaven because they never accepted the light of (the Christian) heaven into their hearts. So they're kind of stuck in a "deficient Heaven" as it's often described. It looks like grassy fields with a castle that has seven gates, one each for the seven virtues.

2nd Circle: The circle of Lust. This is where those who let their appetites get the better of them go. Those souls condemned here are blown back and forth violently by powerful winds.

3rd Circle: The circle of Gluttony. In this circle those who succumbed to their hunger for not only food and drink but also other things lie in mud while a vile slushy rain pours down on them. Cerberus guards this circle. Apparently if you fill his mouth with mud he'll leave you alone.

4th Circle: Where those who led lives of Greed are punished. There are two types of people. The avarice/miserly who hoarded earthly possessions and the prodigal who squandered them. These two groups are guarded by a being called Pluto in the book who is either the Roman god by the same name or the god Plutus. (There's some debate in the literary community over which one Dante meant.)

5th Circle: Where those who let Anger rule their lives are punished. It is made up of the swampy waters of the River Styx. The wrathful fight on the surface of the water while the sullen are beneath it gurgling in sullen misery. This circle also contains the Stygian Marsh which surrounds the city of Dis where active sins are punished.

6th Circle: Where Heresy is punished. Here those who speak and live Heresy are trapped inside flaming tombs.

7th Circle: The fowl smelling circle where Violence is punished. It's a like a descending layer cake of doom. The outer ring is where those who committed violence against people and property are immersed in the a river of boiling blood and fire. The deeper they are sunk the worse their sin. The middle ring is comprised of a grove of trees who are in fact people who committed suicide (violence against the self). Here you also see those who destroyed their lives by destroying the means by which they made a living. They are chased and mauled by rabid dogs. The inner ring is where those who committed violence against god and nature are punished. They lie in a flaming desert while flakes of flame flit down onto them.

8th Circle: The Sin of Fraud is punished here. This circle is devided into ten ditches of stone or Bolgie.
~Bolgia 1: Where panderers and seducers are whipped by demons while marking in opposite lines.
~Bolgia 2: Those who used their words to exploit others, the flatterers are steeped in human excrement representing the words they produced.
~Bolgia 3: Those who committed Simony (the act of paying for holy offices) are placed head first into baptismal fonts while fire burns their feet.
~Bolgia 4: Sorcerers, astrologers and false prophets have their heads twisted around so that they have to walk backwards because they cannot see ahead of them. This represents not only the attempts they made to see into the future through forbidden means but also the twisted nature of magic in general.
~Bolgia 5: Here corrupt politicians are dipped into a lake of boiling pitch. Mmmm.... crispy.
~Bolgia 6: In this ditch you see hypocrites walking aimlessly along while wearing gilded lead cloaks that represent the falseness of their words and actions.
~Bolgia 7: Here thieves are pursued and bitten by snakes. Whenever they are bitten they change shape, representing how they stole from others.
~Bolgia 8: Fraudulent advisers and evil councilors are found here. They are concealed in flames.
~Bolgia 9: In the ninth bolgia the sowers of discord are hacked by a demon with a sword. As they divided others so shall they be divided.
~Bolgia 10: In the final bolgia a variety of falsifier, considered a disease on society are they themselves afflicted with various diseases. Alchemists, counterfeiters, perjurers and imposters are found here.

9th Circle: This circle is a pit made up of 4 rounds. The upper most part of it is circled by biblical giants who can be seen from the waist up from the last circle. This circle is where those who committed Treachery are punished. Those who betrayed others are encrusted in the ice of the frozen lake Cocytus.
~Round 1: Called Caina after Cain. Here those who betrayed their kin are immersed up to their face.
~Round 2: Called Antenora after Antenor of Troy who betrayed his city to the Greeks. Those whoa re traitors to political entities (cities, parties, country) are found here.
~Round 3: Known as Ptolomaea after Ptolomy who invited Simon Maccabaeus and his sons to a banquet and killed them. Those who are traitors to their guests are punished here. They lay supine on the ice here. Covered in ice, except for their faces.
~Round 4: Named Judecca after Judas. Those who betray their lords and benefactors are encased completely in ice here.

Center of Hell: Here you find Satan, who committed the ultimate sin (personal treachery against god) waist deep in the lake. He weeps tears and beats his wings, trying to escape but the icy winds they create only ensure his continued imprisonment.

And that's your tour through Hell. Remember to stop by the souvenir shop on your way through the center of earth.

Isabella
O.S.G.

Post by Isabella »

A reminder: If you have questions about the role I gave you, need more info on it or you hate it and want to switch for something you'll enjoy more, please let me know. I have plenty of uncast roles and there may be someone out there with a role you will enjoy who will enjoy your role.