The Rant House

Forum rules
Posts made here are viewable by the general public, no account or login required.
Ralph
Storyteller
Player name: Ralph
Character Name: Trouble
City Positions: Head Storyteller

The Rant House

Post by Ralph »

Hey folks,

I got a PM from someone asking for a description of the Rant House. I couldn't believe that it wasn't described in the Locations of Note section - but sure enough, I could not find it there.

Normally, I would ask whoever owned the place to describe it, but since it has been a staple of the game for so long, I thought I would put this thread together to get a common consensus of what the place looked like. I'll post what I understand it to be, but if this differs from your understanding, respond to the thread! Eventually we will make a formal ruling.

Here is what I believe to be true about the Rant House:
Located in the middle of Mountain View somewhere is a squat apparently cinder block building. No windows adorn the outside, and it appears to be only a single floor. A single painted steel door is the only entrance, and that door is secured by some sort of electronic lock. (Though it is reinforced from the inside by several other locks, including a massive door bar.) The whole building looks from the outside rather like a PG&E or telecom company substation. It does not appear to conform to current building codes, (No windows, only 1 exit), but must have been grandfathered in.

Once inside however, one finds themselves in a comfortable and well appointed hall. There is a bar in one corner and plenty of places to sit and chat. A door leads out of the room to a hall, and a stairway that leads down.

At the end of the hall is a very well maintained library. A single large oak table (usually) dominates the center of the room, while the walls are bordered in stacks of shelves. A computer with high-speed internet access can be found here, along with a wireless router.

Down the stairs leads to "The Pit"; a deep gladiatorial arena, complete with a sunken fighting area and a raised observation catwalk. In the pit there are a number of weapon racks on the walls, often adorned with a variety of wicked looking weapons.

Finally, there is a small room one can get to from the catwalks - this place is a catacomb of sorts. A place where the Brujah of the Domain have been known to keep those who have no where else to go, or perhaps are constrained for other reasons. This is where a coffin, now painted red, resides as a special punishment for those who truly fail the clan.

Rumor has it that there is some sort of secret entrance from below, thanks to an enterprising Nosferatu, but if it does exist, it certainly is not common knowledge; Indeed perhaps the method of entry has been lost to time and the ever changing rogues gallery of the Domain.

The entire building is specially reinforced to withstand even the most potent of combatants, and soundproofed to ensure that no one outside is ever the wiser of what goes on within.
-Ralph
--------
Let me tell you a story....

Ted
Staff
Player name: Ted
Character Name: Lithium Smurf

Re: The Rant House

Post by Ted »

Wasn't there some kind of apartment or bedroom in there somewhere? I know PCs have lived in the rant house for a few months before.
Qerans Seadie (3BR). Creature - Zombie Shaman. 1BBB, T, Sacrifice a player: Put a +1/+1 counter on one of that land is trandor.

Katyusha
Player
Player name: Ari
Character Name: Kateryna Oleksyshyn
City Positions: Brujah Primogen

Post by Katyusha »

Since Katya has been in town, most PCs living in the Rant House have set up cots in the Library. However, I have heard to said repeatedly that there are a few cells or closets off of the pit, and those have certainly been used in play.
Brujah Primogen of the South Bay
Meticulous and Efficient

Ralph
Storyteller

Post by Ralph »

I always assumed those "cells" are part of the catacomb.
-Ralph
--------

Katyusha
Player
Player name: Ari
Character Name: Kateryna Oleksyshyn
City Positions: Brujah Primogen

Post by Katyusha »

Very possibly!
Brujah Primogen of the South Bay
Meticulous and Efficient

Emma
Neophyte
Player name: Ginger
Character Name: Emma Riley
City Positions: Herald

Post by Emma »

Things I've heard about the Rant House:

* The library is "upstairs" somehow on a separate level
* There are at least a few windows (we've discussed opening and closing them)
* The library has several "conversational nooks"
* There's a set of cupboards, out of which many useful things can be procured (but not tinfoil.)
* There's a broom closet, where standard (and non-standard) cleaning supplies are kept. In a pinch, if emptied, it would probably fit a body.

... I know there's more but I'm not thinking of it right now.

Zaage
Gamer
Player name: Katie
Character Name: Zaage
City Positions: Scourge

Post by Zaage »

On the issue of the library: For some reason, I've always envisioned it as a sort of split-level, just a short flight of steps up from the main floor. I'm not sure where that came from, but it does support the "library is set apart" notion.
Scourge of Monterey
Hopeful in the Eyes of the Camarilla

Zaage | Anobel | Isobel
"He must walk warily and fearlessly, and while he should never brawl
if he can avoid it, he must be ready to hit hard if the need arises. Let
him remember, by the way, that the unforgivable crime is soft hitting.
Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly." —Theodore Roosevelt

Emma
Neophyte
Player name: Ginger
Character Name: Emma Riley
City Positions: Herald

Post by Emma »

A few changes have been made to the rant house.

The visible ones are:

The floors have been covered with ikea laminate flooring; the walls are freshly painted. Close examination will show a grid-like texture under the paint.

The ceilings have been "artistically" altered: a spider-web pattern of silver wire has been added to each room (different to each room, and integrating any features already present). Additionally, what appears to be large-headed metal and wooden nails have been hammered into the ceiling, scattered throughout the spiderweb.

At the door, Himalayan salt bricks have been installed as a decorative step, and have been added to the window frames.

The Spirit
Thread Necromancer
Player name: Dorian
Character Name: Robert Sinclair
City Positions: Pissed

Post by The Spirit »

The current Rant House was established by Sir Henri du Roche, iirc.

I do not know what it looks like, though it certainly can fulfill the functionality of most of the things described above (high-speed internet, the Pit, etc.).

I don't believe that there is an actual Red Box--mostly because it would have a tendency to disappear and need to be replaced with some regularity (roughly as often as every time my character visited).

The last Rant House was built by Gerard DuBois. It was in use circa 2009-2011... I guess? It's fuzzy in my memory.
Gerard's Rant House was sat in the midst of a non-profit community service organization's office building complex--like one or several such organizations were renting floors of the building or something. I can follow-up with a description of that place, as I remember it pretty well, but I am pretty sure the current Rant House is NOT Gerard's Rant House, because that was either in Santa Clara or near Santa Teresa and the hospital and stuff. And the Rant House in Mountain View is in Mountain View, as cemented by the light bulb plot.

The Spirit
Thread Necromancer

Post by The Spirit »

Emma wrote:A few changes have been made to the rant house.

The visible ones are:

The floors have been covered with ikea laminate flooring; the walls are freshly painted. Close examination will show a grid-like texture under the paint.

The ceilings have been "artistically" altered: a spider-web pattern of silver wire has been added to each room (different to each room, and integrating any features already present). Additionally, what appears to be large-headed metal and wooden nails have been hammered into the ceiling, scattered throughout the spiderweb.

At the door, Himalayan salt bricks have been installed as a decorative step, and have been added to the window frames.
I'm reasonably sure some of the recent remodellings will keep cell phones from working in the Rant House. Staff ruling please: do cell phones and the like get signal from within the Rant House now?

Ted
Staff
Player name: Ted
Character Name: Lithium Smurf

Post by Ted »

The Spirit wrote:I'm reasonably sure some of the recent remodellings will keep cell phones from working in the Rant House. Staff ruling please: do cell phones and the like get signal from within the Rant House now?
Staff ruling: Cell phones work as they usually do. These changes don't affect your signal.
Qerans Seadie (3BR). Creature - Zombie Shaman. 1BBB, T, Sacrifice a player: Put a +1/+1 counter on one of that land is trandor.

Ralph
Storyteller

Post by Ralph »

For the record, I am certain that the current Rant House was not established by Henri - it already existed. I suspect that it is supposed to be the same place as Gerard established, but the vaugeries of multiple player/owners and not having a well documented location has migrated it somewhat.

I think at this point we have a pretty solid description of the location, as it exists today. While it may not be what was originally intended, it is what appears to be the consensual reality now.
-Ralph
--------

MikeLG
O.S.G.
Player name: Adam
Character Name: Michael
City Positions: Deputy

Post by MikeLG »

And to add to the confusion:

I thought the one that Gerard set up was a gun range

The Spirit
Thread Necromancer

Post by The Spirit »

No, the gun range was established by Trevor Goodchilde and kinda got left to the three-to-four Brujah who were around when Dana stopped coming to game.

All of whom were basically dirt-poor at the time.

Colleen
The Lit Whore
Player name: Lindsay
Character Name: Colleen Reed
City Positions: None!

Post by Colleen »

The Spirit wrote:No, the gun range was established by Trevor Goodchilde and kinda got left to the three-to-four Brujah who were around when Dana stopped coming to game.

All of whom were basically dirt-poor at the time.
As the staffer who ran both of these, the Trevor gun range and the Gerard gun range were in fact two different gun ranges. Just FYI.
Of all the gifts we have received, one is most precious and most terrible - the will of each of us is free - It's in our hands.
Our hands can choose to drop the knife - Our hearts can choose to stop the hating - For ev'ry moment of our life is the beginning...
There is no journey gone so far we can not stop and change direction.
No doom is written in the stars -- it's in our hands.

Zaage
Gamer
Player name: Katie
Character Name: Zaage
City Positions: Scourge

Post by Zaage »

Colleen wrote:As the staffer who ran both of these, the Trevor gun range and the Gerard gun range were in fact two different gun ranges. Just FYI.
I took over Trevor's range and it was very frustrating getting people to acknowledge that they were different locations until the crowd changed and didn't have pre-conceived confusion. I believe the only locations we tend to talk about now are the Rant House (whomever it was established by) and what used to be Trevor's range.
Scourge of Monterey
Hopeful in the Eyes of the Camarilla

Zaage | Anobel | Isobel
"He must walk warily and fearlessly, and while he should never brawl
if he can avoid it, he must be ready to hit hard if the need arises. Let
him remember, by the way, that the unforgivable crime is soft hitting.
Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly." —Theodore Roosevelt

MikeLG
O.S.G.
Player name: Adam
Character Name: Michael
City Positions: Deputy

Post by MikeLG »

I believe Gerard aalso was trying to get his range as a rant house. Thus my confusion and bringing up the question of "Is it a gun range or not?"

The Spirit
Thread Necromancer

Post by The Spirit »

MikeLG wrote:I believe Gerard aalso was trying to get his range as a rant house. Thus my confusion and bringing up the question of "Is it a gun range or not?"
This, this sounds accurate.

Greg, if/when you should see this, please feel free to chime in with what was up. Memnosyne, she no give me the really good stuff remembering this.

Ralph
Storyteller

Post by Ralph »

Ok, so before I do a whole big descriptive post, I decided to play around with a free floorplan maker.

http://www.homestyler.com/designer#.UgVyq7HhA3Y.email

Let me know what you think. I'll adjust as necessary before posting.
-Ralph
--------

Isabella
O.S.G.
Player name: Adana
Character Name: Isabella Giovanni
City Positions: Super Villain

Post by Isabella »

all I got was the floor plan maker. Not the floor plan itself.
You made Teddy very angry...

"Death is my business and business is good" ~ From Grave Robber At Large by Creature Feature.

Aoife
O.S.G.
Player name: Samantha
Character Name: Aoife Kennedy

Post by Aoife »

Same here.
Aoife Rosalia Kennedy - now deceased

"I know a girl with a hole in her heart
She said infinity is a great place to start" -- U2

Ralph
Storyteller

Post by Ralph »

Huh. Let's try this:

http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile ... 35f2ff9d19

Then hit "Copy design" so you can play with it. There are 2d and 3d views, and 2 floors to look at.

It's not ideal, but what do you want for 20 minutes on a break at work. :D
-Ralph
--------