Status Bans and Symbels

Forum rules
Posts made here are viewable by the general public, no account or login required.
Ralph
Storyteller
Player name: Ralph
Character Name: Trouble
City Positions: Head Storyteller

Status Bans and Symbels

Post by Ralph »

Hey folks,

With the announcements of the Justicariate the following rules are now officially in effect in BAM:

Status Bans (http://masquerade.endogaming.net/rulesw ... tatus_Bans )
and
Symbels (http://masquerade.endogaming.net/rulesw ... The_Symbel )

Both have been linked to the Big Book of Status in the wiki.

PS: I was wrong last night when I said being nice to a Caitiff was a lesser status ban. Not sure where I remember that from.
-Ralph
--------
Let me tell you a story....

Capet
O.S.G.
Player name: Paul
Character Name: Julien
City Positions: Harpy

Re: Status Bans and Symbels

Post by Capet »

Is this intended to be a complete listing of the bans?
Could a status ban be used as a punishment?
If money can't buy you happiness, then you aren't spending enough.

Thrash
Accomplice
Player name: Tommy
Character Name: Thrash

Post by Thrash »

Also, where is it stated what the Maximum number of personal status is for a character with no bans?
If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.

- Socrates

MrMicromort
Accomplice
Player name: Monte
Character Name: Terrence Winthorpe

Post by MrMicromort »

I think everybody needs to take particular note of this one:

• Applies to members of the Camarilla who do not have any boons registered with the Harpy
人生は夢であり ; それはあなたのための朝です.

"Bushido is desperation; ten men cannot kill such a man. Common sense will not accomplish great things. Simply become insane and desperate." -attributed to Lord Naoshige, from 'Hagakure'

Aldona Piast
O.S.G.
Player name: Lindsay
Character Name: Aldona Piast
City Positions: Seneschal

Post by Aldona Piast »

MrMicromort wrote:I think everybody needs to take particular note of this one:

• Applies to members of the Camarilla who do not have any boons registered with the Harpy
This means owed or owes right? You can be on either side of a boon for this, yes?
Christos Magos of the Kings - Sister Melia of the Wanderers

Judge a man not by how he treats his equals but by how he treats his inferiors.
-Charlie Chaplin

MrMicromort
Accomplice
Player name: Monte
Character Name: Terrence Winthorpe

Post by MrMicromort »

It doesn't state, so I interpret to mean either way. Social credit check.
人生は夢であり ; それはあなたのための朝です.

"Bushido is desperation; ten men cannot kill such a man. Common sense will not accomplish great things. Simply become insane and desperate." -attributed to Lord Naoshige, from 'Hagakure'

Jane
Gamer
Player name: Drea 1.0
Character Name: Jane Myers
City Positions: Bartender

Post by Jane »

Ralph wrote:PS: I was wrong last night when I said being nice to a Caitiff was a lesser status ban. Not sure where I remember that from.
You know, I could have sworn I heard this somewhere else as well. Maybe it was in a previous draft of the BNS system or something, or someone remembered the rule wrong and accidentally perpetuated that idea.

Either way, my character is still going to spread that idea IC because she's a bitch.
The waiting drove me mad... you're finally here and I'm a mess
I take your entrance back... can't let you roam inside my head
I don't want to take what you can give
I would rather starve than eat your bread
I would rather run but I can't walk
Guess I'll lie alone just like before

'amah al Hadia
Neophyte
Player name: Ari
Character Name: Amina

Post by 'amah al Hadia »

I've clearly missed some stuff by being away for a few weeks, so I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or is in the works already, but reading the status bans:

If being on a Path is so blindingly obvious now that a status ban can be in effect, can we please add some sort of indicator to the status board or something to denote who's on a Path (or do something else that doesn't require us to constantly stop and ask people OOC)?

Flycatcher
Accomplice
Player name: Michael
Character Name: Jeremiah Crane
City Positions: Sheriff

Post by Flycatcher »

Jane wrote:
Ralph wrote:PS: I was wrong last night when I said being nice to a Caitiff was a lesser status ban. Not sure where I remember that from.
You know, I could have sworn I heard this somewhere else as well. Maybe it was in a previous draft of the BNS system or something, or someone remembered the rule wrong and accidentally perpetuated that idea.

Either way, my character is still going to spread that idea IC because she's a bitch.
Its mentioned in the Accused of Heresy 2 point Cam-setting flaw (page 405). So you don't get any status bans, you're just watched by agents of the Justicariate looking for an excuse to gat you. Much better!
Jeremiah Crane of the Outlanders
Inquisitive and twice Relentless

Melissa
O.S.G.
Player name: Alison
Character Name: Melissa

Post by Melissa »

'amah al Hadia wrote:I've clearly missed some stuff by being away for a few weeks, so I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or is in the works already, but reading the status bans:

If being on a Path is so blindingly obvious now that a status ban can be in effect, can we please add some sort of indicator to the status board or something to denote who's on a Path (or do something else that doesn't require us to constantly stop and ask people OOC)?
I second this.
I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

Camden
Player
Player name: Bill
Character Name: Marq Camden

Post by Camden »

'amah al Hadia wrote:I've clearly missed some stuff by being away for a few weeks, so I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or is in the works already, but reading the status bans:

Why again is a Path a 3 point merit and not a 3 point flaw. Also, what are you doing about the characters on a path who have greater than 1 status.

Ginger
Staff
Player name: Ginger
Character Name: Doom

Post by Ginger »

Camden wrote:Why again is a Path a 3 point merit and not a 3 point flaw. Also, what are you doing about the characters on a path who have greater than 1 status.
First: Because the Camarilla values Humanitas, so being on a path requires you to use your special snowflake points.

Second: being on a path is a lesser ban - your personal status limit is 3, not 1.
Mistress of Administrivia
Soul-binder, Hope-Crusher
Sayer of Nays

stegan
Neophyte
Player name: BrianW
Character Name: Stegan

Post by stegan »

'amah al Hadia wrote:If being on a Path is so blindingly obvious now that a status ban can be in effect, can we please add some sort of indicator to the status board or something to denote who's on a Path (or do something else that doesn't require us to constantly stop and ask people OOC)?
I don't think there's currently a way to do this - it'll require reworking the Status database and page to add this kind of functionality - I'll see what I can do.

Melissa
O.S.G.

Post by Melissa »

My thought is that it could be done with a forum thread easily enough. It's not like status, where you don't know unless you're told or you have Status Aware- it is readily obvious to anyone who looks at them, and there aren't that many of them.

Aldona Piast
O.S.G.
Player name: Lindsay
Character Name: Aldona Piast
City Positions: Seneschal

Post by Aldona Piast »

Melissa wrote:My thought is that it could be done with a forum thread easily enough. It's not like status, where you don't know unless you're told or you have Status Aware- it is readily obvious to anyone who looks at them, and there aren't that many of them.
You're right, it's not like stars, but it does have a new status effect, and someone with status aware should be able to look at the status page and know who has greater or lesser status bans sitting on them, not just for the path reasons.
Christos Magos of the Kings - Sister Melia of the Wanderers

Judge a man not by how he treats his equals but by how he treats his inferiors.
-Charlie Chaplin

Melissa
O.S.G.

Post by Melissa »

That's very true, bans in general should be on the status page. I was just thinking about the physically obvious side of things (which would also include things like eerie presence effects that cannot be physrepped and appearance focuses, now that I think about it).

stegan
Neophyte
Player name: BrianW
Character Name: Stegan

Post by stegan »

I'll look into changing how the Status Page works, but can't promise to have anything for the next few weeks - I've got a lot of projects happening between BAM and Dark Prospects, and am currently in the middle of a tough one for Dark Prospects. As soon as that's done I can start looking at the Status Page - please bump this every week or so to remind me, because I don't want to forget :)

Ralph
Storyteller

Post by Ralph »

Here are some responses to things in this thread.
Leveque wrote:Is this intended to be a complete listing of the bans?
Could a status ban be used as a punishment?
I hadn't considered that. That's BRILLIANT. Probably by the Prince, Seneschal and Harpy. (And greater Camarilla offices of course.)
Thrash wrote:Also, where is it stated what the Maximum number of personal status is for a character with no bans?
The max is 5. I am not sure it is explicit anywhere except in the Prince section: http://masquerade.endogaming.net/rulesw ... /Positions : Grant Status: A Prince may grant a Status Trait to another Kindred at the cost of one temporary Status per Status Trait granted. A Prince may never raise one’s personal Status above 5.

As far as the Status Bans go - For right now, I'll add a special Status to everyone currently affected by a Ban. That should help clarify things until Brian can make a change to the page.

I think I've got everyone - if I missed someone, let me know
-Ralph
--------

Rhodes
Gamer
Player name: Bill H.
Character Name: Kass Baldwin Hastings
City Positions: Friendly Lobbiest

Post by Rhodes »

Ralph wrote: I think I've got everyone - if I missed someone, let me know
You missed Marq, and I assme many more: Lesser Ban - Applies to members of the Camarilla who do not have any boons registered with the Harpy

Ralph
Storyteller

Post by Ralph »

True. I have not yet done a Boon audit to verify those things. I think I got everyone based on Clan and Path.
-Ralph
--------

'amah al Hadia
Neophyte

Post by 'amah al Hadia »

Who counts as "the harpy"? Just this domain's? Obviously NPCs who part time in the city aren't getting busted down just because they have no boons registered locally. We occasionally have PCs in a similar position, so this might be relevant.

Ralph
Storyteller

Post by Ralph »

Having 'Boons registered with the Harpy' would include boons registered with Harpies in other cities.

Normally when someone gets Acknowledged in a new city, as I imagine it, the Harpies of the old City and the New city talk and trade information. (Indeed the Harpy position has access to a specific board called "The Harpy's Network" for exactly this purpose.)

So If you have boons in other cities, the local Harpy will find out about it soon enough.

(It should go without saying that if you think you have boons in other cities, STAFF should at least know about it...)
-Ralph
--------

'amah al Hadia
Neophyte

Post by 'amah al Hadia »

Thanks!